Whether there’s rain, hail or shine, we want you to stay comfy and enjoy your ugg boots without the fear of damaging them.
With all the rain battering the East Coast of Australia at the moment, it makes us think back to one of the most common questions we get from customers: "are ugg boots waterproof?"
Many of our ugg boot styles are water resistant - but not all of them are. In the same vein, whilst sheepskin is a resilient material, it is not immune to water damage. So in short, are ugg boots 100% waterproof? The answer is no.
While waterproofing uggs might not be 100% possible, there are some proactive steps you can take to protect them against the rain and keep them looking fresh all year round.
In this blog, we share some basic tips to help you keep your boots looking fresh and clean for years to come.
#1. Keep them clean using a specialist sheepskin care kit
Our care kit has everything you need to easily and safely clean your beloved ugg boots. It includes:
- Cleaning Spray & Detergent to clean your ugg boots and protect them from mould and mildew.
- Water & Oil Repellent to protect your shoes from the nasties of the outside world.
- Multi-Purpose Foam cleaning sponge to help you remove stains quickly in between cleaning.
Our ugg boot cleaning products are made from natural ingredients including tea-tree oil which is antibacterial and biodegradable, removing signs of mould and mildew from your precious uggs.
For suede boots, use our Multi Purpose Suede Ugg Brush to remove unsightly dirt. Make sure you brush the boots in the same direction for the best result.
#2. Say "no" to the washing machine
If you go out in the rain and your uggs get a little soggy, whatever you do, do NOT put them in the washing machine!
Excessive moisture will almost certainly ruin your ugg boots - and that’s exactly what we’re trying to avoid here. Instead us this method when your uggs need a wash:
- Use a cold, damp, clean cloth to gently rub the outside of the boots.
- Spray our Cleaning Spray & Detergent to the ugg boots and use damp sponge to rub the outside of the boots.
- Clean off the detergent with another damp cloth (make sure all water is wrung out - too much water will cause stains!)
- Let them dry naturally out of the sun.
#3. Create a barrier of defence
To keep your ugg boots looking fresh throughout the rain season, you need to create a barrier of defence against the elements.
After cleaning your ugg boots, treat them with Oil & Water Repellent spray. Spray until your ugg boots look wet but are not soaked and then leave to dry in a ventilated area.
Plus, for a little extra protection, give them a quick spray before leaving the house every now and then. This will help maintain this barrier of defence, help waterproofing uggs, and keep your ugg boots protected against wind, rain and scuffs.
Also, if your uggs do get wet, don’t tumble dry them. Let them dry naturally in a well-ventilated area in the sun.